Friday, September 12, 2008

Anxiety

What We Worry About:
40% are things that will never happen.
30% are about the past - which can't be changed.
12% are about criticism by others, mostly untrue.
10% are about health, which gets worse with stress.
8% are about real problems that can be solved.

Over the past week, I've heard this information twice now. I guess God is trying to really get the point across that worry isn't worth it. Last Saturday I was at a ladies luncheon at my church, and our guest speaker encouraged us to put whatever worries us, or whatever person causes us anxiety, to put that in your hand and then lay it at our Savior's feet.

Then I was reading my small group book this week (Having a Mary heart in a Martha World), and I read this information again. This a a great book I'm reading. It states that 'we are a nation of worriers.' Isn't that sad? 'God knows worry short-circuits our relationship with Him. It fixes our eyes on our situation rather than on our Savior.' 350 times, the Bible says "Fear not." Jesus knew we needed to be reminded of this over and over and over.

I encourage you (as I'm telling myself this also) to make it a point to avoid fear and worry. It's just not healthy - physically or spiritually.

No comments: